Blog Archive

Friday, January 7, 2011

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Specifically, I took 1 plane, 3 trains, and 1 automobile to get here,...but now I'M IN FRANCE!!

I boarded the first train with a boy from Georgia Tech, and from then on, we grew in numbers after every stop. All we had to do was look around each platform for a confused group of students wearing jeans and struggling with bulky luggage. By the time we arrived in Metz, there were 10 or 12 of us ready to pair off and call a cab. I'm incredibly happy with how uneventful my travels were. I was expecting crowded platforms, rude people, and confusing connections. Fortunately, I found TGV rail system simple, even without knowing French, and I had plenty of time to get reorganized after each stop (with the exception of one incident where I missed a shuttle...then I had HOURS of time to get reorganized).

Once at school I dumped my bags in my room and went to the front desk to find a map. Instead, I found 3 other students heading into town for dinner and decided to tag along. Metz is very deceiving. When staring out the bus window, the city is nothing special. The concrete prison with high walls and barbed wire doesn't help either. After exploring the down town area by foot however, I can't wait to see what other secrets the bland side streets are hiding. We found mazes of coble stone streets, lined with both quaint and modern stores (every other shop is either a bakery or chocolate store), and at the center of the maze is a huge ferris wheel, surrounded by stands that sell crepes, espresso, and oddly enough, sausage. The architecture in this areas is old fashion and beautiful. Tomorrow, we plan on revisiting one of the many fresh fruit and vegetable stands. After my first night in France, I came home with some flowers, chocolate, and wine. All is right in the world  : )

A 'Welcome to France' gift... to myself : )

No comments:

Post a Comment